Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Chocolate Choc Chip - White Chip Chippers



I have yet to meet something chocolate that I didn't like, but this is one of my favorites. They are so rich and fudgy and CHEWY, which is a quality I hold dear for more than just my pizza crusts, but cookies as well.

I am not making an alternative recipe on this one, because there is so much chocolate in these, they will never know you snuck whole wheat flour and flax in there. The added bonus of them being dark so you can't see it adds to the deception. If you prefer, just use white and omit the flax.

I used straight whole-meal flour, no white, and they turned out GREAT. But then again, the stuff I've got is whole-wheat flour kind of like 'cracked wheat' bread is wheat bread. You know? I think I've mentioned before that it looks like glorified white flour with some gratuitous husks in it for show. So you at home are probably best to just sub in 1/2 c. + wheat for white if you are into that sort of thing. Again, no judgments if you take it straight!



Chocolate Choc Chip, White Chip Chippers


1 c. melted chocolate {I used 'dark' compound chocolate, Melts brand for locals}

1/ 2 c. scant butter-flavored crisco

2/3 c. brown sugar

1 egg

1 t. vanilla

3/4 t. baking soda

3/4 t. salt

1 2/3 c. flour

1/2 c. white chips or chunks {I cut up some bar}

1 c + choc chips


Melt the chocolate in a small bowl by placing it atop a saucepan full of water over the stove over medium-high heat. Cool it to the point it won't scramble the eggs. {Since I am impatient, the minute I see it 1/2 way melted I turn the stove off and stir it. As it continues to melt, I remove it from the heat altogether. This helps it so it never gets too hot that I have to wait.}

Meanwhile cream the Crisco and the sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix. Drizzle in the melted chocolate and give it another mix.

Add in the dry ingredients and mix through. Add in the choc chips and the white chips and stir to combine. If the dough is seems to wet, add in some more flour. Sometimes it can be a little crumbly, and if it is, simply add in a few capfuls of milk. Because of the amount of chocolate, this dough is so forgiving and you really CAN'T mess it up, not that I was worried about you...

Refrigerate the dough for an hour or two {again, I am impatient and usually throw them in the freezer for 20 minutes}. I am not sure why this helps but I now do this with all of my cookie doughs. They seem to turn out more chewy and delicious.

After the dough has been refrigerated, roll into any sized ball and you will need to mash them down so that they don't cook up in a ball. They need a little help.

Bake at 375 / 190 until they look done. Sorry, I don't have a timer, don't use them. It will be more difficult since they are so dark, but I am guestimating 8-15 minutes depending on how big you made them.

Cheers, hey!

22 comments:

Jenny said...

What's not to love about chocolate and white chocolate!! These look perfect Natalie! Great pics and recipes!

Maria said...

Your cookies look wonderful! I love putting white and dark chocolate together!!

Adam said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Natalie :) I'm glad you're digging the posts.

I think your cookies look great. I like how you snuck in flax and whole wheat in there without anyone knowing. Very sneaky... in a healthy way.

Gaengy said...

These look so good, I think I tried your former version of these. They look so yummy! Will give them a try with the whole wheat!

Mekhismom said...

Every time I stop by there is something so good cooking! I have mentioned your blog to some folks and I think I will tweet it too. Everything looks great.

About me - well my "cakes" are made from diapers. So they are inedible. I am going to have to make that clear somehow, perhaps I need to change my header.

Anyhow - love the cookies.

Deborah said...

I've lost my chocolate tooth since becoming pregnant, but I'll have to remember this for once the baby is born! I love that you make everything healthier, too. I could learn a lesson from you!

Steph said...

Yum! I love all kinds of chocolate, and I especially love the combo!

cooknkate said...

man that's a mouthful....I love anything jam-packed with chocolate. These sure fit the bill

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Those look good! I always try to use as much whole wheat flour as possible. These are some great cookies Natalie!

Lisa said...

Delicious looking cookies! My son would go nuts for these.

Dhanggit said...

Hi Natalie,

great to know you too and your delicious blog!! I'll surely be dropping more regularly here. Btw, your cookies look fantastic! I just love the contrast :-)

kisses from my "erotic" kitchen LOL that's Leslie's"kinky idea"

Kristen said...

I love chocolate cookies like that... you can't go wrong!

Leslie said...

Funny..because I saw your pic last night on someones elses comments last night. We must notice eachothers blond hair!!LOL
I am a chocolate freak..these look dangerous!

Aggie said...

These look delicious. I love that you snuck in the whole wheat flour, I'm always trying to find good quality recipes using some of the healthier stuff!

Now I'm craving chocolate...: )

Prudy said...

Ok, what a great blog you have! I'm so glad you came by my blog. Thanks so much for your kind words. I only wish I had organized drawers and closets. I'll keep projecting that image though, since it's the next best thing to fake it.:) Your food looks so very yummy, I'm heading back to browse some more.....

hot garlic said...

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Gaengy said...

I made these yesterday, but unfortunately I over baked them. They were still good, but I will have to remember next time to not bake them so long!!

Betsy said...

I'm going to try making these but have a couple quick questions first. I have some regular baking chocolate from the grocery store, would that work for the melted chocolate? Also, just to clarify, do you mean one cup of chocolate melted or melt enough chocolate until you have one cup? Thanks!

My sister is on a cookie quest to make a new kind of cookie each week with her kids, so if you have any other great cookie recipes I'd love to see them.

In case you're wondering, I found your blog on Jenni Terry's blog and I'm excited to try some of your recipes.

hot garlic said...

Hey Betsy!

Thanks for your question and I am so excited for you to make these cookies. They are seriously one of my favorites! And I'll get working on some more for your sisters cookie week. Challenge accepted!

As per your questions. I just measure out 1 c. chocolate and THEN melt it, it is much easier that way! Yes, feel free to use regular chocolate for melting rather than chips. It will probably be better and I just about did the same thing last time I made them.

Thanks for telling me how you found me {yes, I do wonder!} and I am so glad you did and I hope you're here to stay.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Cheryl said...

I found your blog on my sister's {Sarah} and I love it! I am addicted. These sound so good, and your picture is adorable.

vanderlinden clan said...

I made these cookies today, and I could see the potential. Unfortunately, I cooked them for 10 minutes, and that was way too long. I made a second batch and cooked for 7 minutes but I think I smashed them too much before baking that they were too thin. Oh well, great flavor with all the chocolate, but not so great overcooked. :(

hot garlic said...

Vanderlinden Clan, Yipes! I'm sorry you burned them! My Mom did too. 10 minutes isn't very long, did you make them super small or does your oven run super hot?

It takes some trial and error, hopefully 3rd time around will be the charm. The light at the end of the rainbow for me with this recipe, is that they are the best burned cookies I've ever had, since I've burned a few batches myself! I don't mind them a little crispy!

Thanks so much for posting your comment, especially where I was so vague on the cooking time in the first place! Chocolate cookies are much more difficult because you can't really rely on sight like you can with lighter cookies.

I know many people come read through the comments before they try a recipe, so I'm sure your comment will prove useful for many people in the future!

Please let me know if you give it a go one more time and you are successful! I hope so, this is one of my FAVORITES and it can be so good if the stars align and you get the right temp, right amount of smushing, and right amount of time! Once you get it once, it won't be so tricky.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs