Monday, May 02, 2011

Heaven.



Okay, this is my way of saying 'I'm sorry' to all of those of you who have an equal or greater fear of all things creepy {is that possible?} than me. I know, that pic of that nasty lizard freaks me out too. I dry heaving as we speak just thinking about him! I forgot to mention in my last post that a few weeks ago we were at a party at a friends house and they have a snake. Much to my chagrin, they brought it out and were holding it in the next room. I have been thinking I needed to work on my fear, starting with working up to looking at pictures of snakes, perhaps it would be cheaper than hypnotism or therapy was kinda mine line of thinking... Anyway, on a whim Ben said he'd give me $500 to hold the snake. I was almost in tears as I considered it, but girl really needs some new Seven Jeans y'all! I was getting really, really close, I even was sitting next to the person holding the snake.

Heart Palpitations setting in... check! Hasty, unsteady breathing... check! Peeing my pants a little bit... check! The snake kinda started freaking out with all of the attention and we decided it wasn't best to move forward, but I got really close! I now force myself to look at the skinks sunning themselves on the rocks of my patio. Baby steps...

Anyway, back to Blintzes, I have it on good authority that this is what they are serving up in heaven for breakfast. So I hope you've been good!

I tried these once using blended up 'oat flour' made in my food processor. I kinda missed the crunch and chewiness of the whole oats, so I added both to this recipe. If you've been a semi-long-time reader you will recognize that I've just built off of my latest crepe recipe. If you prefer a more traditional crepe then have it it, I just ask that you don't skip out on the cream and berries!

Since children don't really need the calories or expense of mascarpone and whipping cream, the dilute theirs with yogurt and the kids greedily and I do mean GREEDILY scarffed them down. In fact, 9 times out of 10, Laine ONLY eats the cream. For some reason with the yogurt addtion, she eats all if it, licks her plate, and asks for seconds. Consequently... so do I...

Almond Blintzes with Vanilla Bean and Lemon Mascarpone Cream and Berries

For the Blintzes:

1 cup flour {any ratio of whole wheat ya'll}

1/3 cup 'oat flour' {see above}

1/2 cup oats

1 tsp salt

2 eggs

dash of oil {1/8-1/4 c -or more if you're serving for company -wink, wink! Make it rich!}

1 2/3 cup milk {+ more if too thick}

1 tsp Almond Essence / Pure Almond Extract

1 tsp vanilla or some scrapes of vanilla bean

In a mixing bowl {I love using my mix & pour style batter bowl} combine flours, oats, and salt. Stir to combine and make a well in the center.

In a separate bowl {I use a very large liquid measuring cup, i.e. less dishes, atleast 3 cup} combine the oil, milk, eggs, almond essence, and vanilla.

Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to combine. Add more milk if the mixture seems to thick.

Heat a large saute pan and spray with non-stick spray. Pour 1/3 cup-ish of batter into pan and swirl around to achieve a nice thin-ish crepe. Flip, continue cooking for a minute, then top with a scoop of berries and a scoop of mascarpone creme. Fold all sides in and serve flipped {it will be tricky, I know there will be casualties, do your best!} Serve with extra cream and berries on the side.

Lemon and Vanilla Bean Mascarpone Cream

1/4 cup cream

1/3 - 1/2 cup Mascarpone Cheese {you can sub cream cheese}

Lemon Zest, about 1 tsp

Fresh Lemon juice, about 2-3 tsp

Vanilla Bean Seeds, about 1/3 of a bean

about 3 raspberries {or any other kind of berry}, for color

2 T. sugar {or more if you like it sweeter, give it about that much and taste it once mixed}

Whip the cream until light and fluffy. Add in the Mascarpone and mix through. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix until incorporated

To achieve a gorgeous pink or purple color, melt a few berries in the micro and toss them in with a mix.

Berries:

I used Strawberry and Blueberry because they were on sale here fresh and they were so tempting I couldn't pass them up. I use frozen berries a lot, because usually they aren't in season and are really expensive. Sometimes I mix fresh and frozen. Obviously the larger berries like strawberries need to be cut as desired.

Just use what you have and throw in a *pinch* of sugar. I would leave the berries a little tart, since the cream can be pretty sweet. The first time I did this I way over sweetened it, which there is no worse crime in my opinion! Extra calories that make it taste bad!

Another trick I use, is that I like it warm and melty and liquidy, so I micro half of them and then add in the other half fresh and let them get warmed by the others so it still tastes fresh instead of totally cooked.

37 comments:

Jenny said...

Ok girl this looks fabulous! I have some mascarpone in the fridge I might just have to whip this up. Great recipe!!

Maria said...

I want to make these now! I love the idea of using the oats...and the cream looks amazing!! I need to get some mascarpone!!

Kimi Harris said...

Yum! I love crepes. I have even been able to find some "soaked" whole wheat recipes that are very nice. I love filling them with fresh berries and lightly sweetened whipped cream. It's very simple, but so good! Now that I can't have dairy, I will have to come up with a substitute. ;-)

Joe Horn said...

Looks great... I need to try them next time we have company coming over for bfast.

Gaengy said...

Sounds so good and looks so beautiful. My mouth is watering!

Adam said...

Hey pretend Sis... nothing calms me down from fear like beautiful, cream filled crepes. I always like seeing recipes that differ from my own, and the oat flour with the almond does sound heavenly :)

I dunno about doing that for $500, but I've done dumber things for $5 when I was in college (shhh)

Wait, I still am in college. It's been 7 years and change :)

Pam said...

This looks amazing! My kids would gobble them up so fast (so would I actually). Great recipe and pictures too.

On our Menu Girls said...

Hello! You left a comment on our family's food blog "On the Menu". Thanks for the encouragement! It is a new blog and right now it's a little lacking . . .especially compared to yours! I've added your blog as a link on ours because you have so many AMAZING recipes. I hope that's okay! You are one talented chef!

Kevin said...

That breakfast looks amazing! Whit vibrant colours! I like the use of both the ground oats and the whole oats.

Bellini Valli said...

Blintzes with mascarpone how could anyone go wrong with that:D

~Holly said...

This looks like heaven!! What a wonderful recipe!! :)

Bridgett said...

The pic of the sliced strawberry is stunning! I think I need to pick some up at the farmers market tomorrow. Don't you just love mascarpone? I makes nearly everything taste better.

Emiline said...

Mmm, boy do these sound good.
My kind of breakfast fo sho.

Girl Japan said...

Okay- I can't help but laugh every time I see that pickle..opps I mean zuc... Mascarpone... OMG hello! These look and I bet are amazing... drooling over here..

Grace said...

"greedily" is a nice way of putting how i'd behave around your blintzes...
lovely presentation. :)

mikky said...

great job... i want a taste... :)

Foodycat said...

Yum! I'd forgotten about blintzes - funny how really good recipes slip to the back of your mind. But these look much better than the ones I used to make!

Dhanggit said...

Oh the title is truly apt..that's the closest place we could think of after enjoying this crepes! Your photos are good enough to be eaten hehehe :-)

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'll be in heaven with this, that's for sure! I love mascarpone, it's so creamy and delicious!

Gloria (Canela) said...

Look absolutely geogeous and lovely! xGloria

kittie said...

Mmmm - this is a breakfast to win hearts!

Erin said...

*salivates* I just might have to do this one day.. I'm just better at savory stuff as opposed to sweet stuff.

no one could pay me enough to touch or hold a snake. (the worst was when I was in biology class 12 years ago, and the teacher had 2 black snakes in class & would bring it out every friday. I'd have to leave the class room cuz i was so terrified!)

Prudy said...

HOt Garlic, I love your recipes, but man if you told me how to make dirt pies I'd still come because you are hilarious. Yep, hilarious. My favorite line was looking at pics of snakes is cheaper than hypno. OOh, hee hee hoo hoo.

Deborah said...

We went to a brunch on our honeymoon where they had great blintzes. These look delicious!

Kate Gildea said...

Mmmm...those look good. Come back to the mainland and make some for me please...please! Anyways, i am glad you didn't do it, its not worth the 500. I tried to overcome my fear by watching something on discovery about them...i have not stoped thinking or dreaming of them. Just thinking about it made me scoot my chair out, just in case its under my chair

Laura said...

These look fantastic! I love anything mascarpone! Yumm...

hot garlic said...

Oh Kimi, your crepes sound heavenly, so sorry about the no dairy!

Me too pretend bro Adam! LOL about dummer things for $5. Come to think of it, so have I... I shant elaborate since Mum reads this blog...

Yer welcome On Our Menu Girls! And Thank-YOU!

Thanks Kev... can I call you Kev?

Seriously BV!

Yes Bridg, it does!

Thanks Emiline!

Girl Japan, I love you! Please tell me you're sticking around!

Grace your comments make me smile!

I doubt that Foodycat!

Erin -I tried to go and leave you a comment but your blog took me no wheres to do so. Thank-you THANK-YOU for your comments {and I see you found sissy Kate's blog -glad you think she's funny too!} Please tell me you're sticking around, I love to get your comments!

Oh Prudy my girl... you make me laugh too! Let's have our own 'zany' cooking show together someday -k?

Thanks Deb, Sissy Kate, and Laura

Thanks everyone else!

Jill said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Could you be any funnier?! Aside from this being a phenomenal recipe, I about died laughing at the part about 'girl' needing some 7 Jeans! This girl needs some too!

riley said...

Your new blog looks PheNOMinal. I can't believe I am married to this lady and that I get to eat all of this delicious food, congrats on your success baby...

alexandra's kitchen said...

I've never attempted to make blintzes, but i seem to be drawn to recipes with mascarpone cheese. these truly look heavenly

Jeena said...

I love your new look it is brilliant!

This is beautiful in presentation, I love the strawberry. These are so tasty I bet they are so more-ish. :-)

Corinne said...

That filling looks and sounds (and Im positive tastes) divine!

Kate / Kajal said...

just in time, i just bought a tub of mascarpone last week, n its still lying there. The presentation is so beautiful.

Jaime said...

your blog is lovely. beautiful plating/presentation. i love sweet like this :)

Carl and Mel said...

Oh yeah that is Heaven on Earth right there. I can't wait to make it!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

There is nothing like dessert for breakfast! This looks so good and the berries are beautiful!

Sam said...

I would really love to had you journal to my page so if I could read about your food creations and ideas. but i cant seem to find the link or "fallow" buttom

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs