Sunday, August 24, 2008

Grilled Halibut Ensconced in Velvet... I mean Zucchini




I am not sure if the flavors of this dish have been perfected {I liked them, but Ben wasn't entirely sold}, but I can't resist posting about it! It turned out so aesthetically pleasing that I can't contain my excitement!

Okay, so this is obviously a bit fussy, so it would be perfect for a romantic dinner à deux or for special occasions, enterating small groups, etc. I am not claiming to say I thought this up precise method on my own, but where I saw it I can't say -it was years ago. In typical fashion I have been meaning to get around to it each and every one of those years {probably 4-ish?}, It just got serious when I bought the necessary mandoline 9 months ago-ish, and then zucchini has been on my grocery list for over a month now... it's baby steps for me. With everything, not just this. I truly do live to procrastinate, and I have reworked it into an art form. Seriously, I'll procrastinate later.

Anyway, from the time line given, I am thinking I possibly first saw this type of method on a show called "Cook Like a Chef" or something like that. It was some seriously fine Canadian programming, and I LOVED it! We got it on the Food Channel in Seoul and I have never seen it since, but it was very, VERY inspiring so if anyone knows of this show, holla. I have seen variations of this in other places since then, maybe on Top Chef too? Or what's that one where the guy, Curtis Stone I think, finds you in the grocery store and takes you to your house and cooks with you, I think it might have been that one -in which case it has only been about 2 years! I really can't keep track!

Other than that, the recipe is mine, though it really is all about the method so I am not claiming much of the bragging rights. I will let you know if I can tweak the flavors to get it better -or if anyone out there has any brilliant ideas I'd love to hear them!

PS -Thanks for all of the sympathy {and stories that had me laughing!} about the hair. It seriously looked like a bad haircut from '98 -you know all of those cute-as-a-button Meg Ryan circa "You've Got Mail" haircuts everyone was sporting back in the day. Especially after Jo had styled it! She had flipped it out with a round-brush -who does that?! I was wondering which closet they had dead-bolted the hair straighters in. But I've worked it out and now ya'll would be seriously mad at me and my whingeing -it actually looks really good and I am rockin' the look now! I will possibly post a pic here, if not then you can take a peek at one I may post on my family blog. As of now there still is no picture to be had. Anyway, thanks again!



Grilled Halibut Ensconced in Zucchini

1/2 lemon

1 red chili

2 cloves garlic

1 t. fresh thyme

1 t. fresh chives

1/8 c. olive oil

2 fish fillets

1 medium zuchini

salt

Make a marinade for the fish by first juicing the lemon {adding in any desired zest}. Finely Mince the herbs, garlic, and any portion of the chili {with or without seeds} and adding them in. Drizzle in the olive oil. Give it a stir and place the fillets in and drizzle over top.

Using a mandoline or v-slicer, slice the zucchini into thin ribbons.


Pre-heat the grill.

Once the fish has marinated for a few minutes +, give it a light sprinkle of salt, and then carefully wrap the ribbons around the fish, layering them on top of each other so that they stay in place. They should now look like this:





Grill on high for a few minutes on each side. Don't touch them until you are ready to carefully flip them and only flip once!

Serve with any kind of sauce or chutney you like {I'm working on finding out what I prefer! I'll let you know!} For now, I served this with the leftover Lemon Garlic Bechemel from the Lasagna.


30 comments:

Jeanine said...

That is just one heck of a pretty little halibut present you have there! :) Your photos all look amazing too. Well done! :) And thanks for popping by, I appreciate it!

Gaengy said...

This recipe looks very special. I can see why you were so excited about it. Your pictures look so good. I am always nervous about cooking fish. Afraid of overcooking I guess.

Jeena said...

Now this is a lovely recipe! Fish or meat wrapped or in a parcel is fantastic!

I love the ingredients you used the zucchini is fabulous!

Presentation is beautiful. Can I have some now please? :-)

Joe Horn said...

Looks really, really good. Maybe an excuse to pull my mandoline out of the box. Nancy bought it for me Christmas, two years ago and I think I've used it once for potatoes for a Spanish tortilla. doh

The real question is, who will you go to for your next hair cut!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

WOW! I would have never thought of this! Looks beautiful! :)

Leslie said...

Well arent you fancy!LOL
I would eat this up! However my damn husband wont eat ANYTHING from the water..so this dish wont be happening anytime soon for me!!!!Sniffle

Prudy said...

Oh, my gosh-it's just beautiful! Not too fussy for me at all, but worth it for that kind of glam with regular ingredients. I'm a BYU gal-does that confirm your suspicions????? :)

Lisa said...

What a neat idea! Looks wonderful.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

Hmmm love this one and your timing is great as my hubby just got back from Alaska and brought home 100 lbs of Halibut and Salmon so I have been hunting for recipes. Will print this one for sure!

Jenny said...

Your halibut looks like a perfect little package just waiting to be eaten up! Really beautiful presentation.

Glad you like your hair now, I bet it looks so cute!

floridagirlinsydney said...

Sorry for bein' a stranger. Was sick, mom came to visit on short notice, yadda yadda yadda...
So two things:
1. This looks amazing. Wonder if I can slice the zucchini thin enough without a mandolin? I am definitely going to try this.
2. The bright side of a bad haircut is that if you've got a pretty face the hair looking good is just a bonus.

Foodycat said...

What a fantastic use for zucchini! It looks so good and I bet it was tasty

Adam said...

The halibut looks beautiful all wrapped up like that. I think I know what you mean about the small groups though... there's def a little bit of work to slice and do all that.

You're a procrastinator too? Haha sometimes I feel everyone is. They should make a procrastination scale, so people can say how bad they are :)

Pam said...

Wow. I think this looks really beautiful - like something you would order in a fancy restaurant. Great job and nice photos too.

Maria said...

Love your photos! I wish I could unwrap this package! We love fish at our house so I will try this one! I just hope it turns out as cute as yours!

Glad the hair is working out for you:)

Sara said...

This looks beautiful! You have got great talent. This is so creative to wrap with zucchini. Thanks for visiting My Sisters'Cucina! We will be checking into your blog often.

Nate-n-Annie said...

Wow, what a great way to use zucchini! Did you have any problems with the thin zucchini sticking to the grill? How did you get the zucchini to stick to the fish?

Poonam said...

Hi Natalie, my first time here! You have such a fabulous collection of recipes here. I am going to be a regular here..

hot garlic said...

Thank-you thank-you everyone!

Leslie: Make it with Chicken then for heaven's sakes!

Hey Joe, I'm a glutton for punishment so probably right back to the same place! Yes, pull out the ol' mandoline!

Cathy! I'm so jealous! Congrats on your haul!

Thanks Jenny!

Good Idea Adam, I'm an 11!

Maria -please let me know how it turns out -good luck!

Flgirl in Sydney: I think you could get away without using a mandoline for the zucchini ribbons for the lasagna but I don't think I could do it personally for this dish.

And part of the beauty of it is how precise and exact it is, you would really lose out on that. The one I have is a total cheapie -I think I paid $6 for it at Target at home. It is perfect since it is small and dinky and doesn't take up too much space since I typically won't be using it that often. It doesn't take up too much space in a suitcase either if you can't find a cheapie here!

Nate-n-Annie -I didn't really have a problem with it sticking to the grill for some reason. One ribbon stuck on one of the parcels, but I just flipped it back over and it was fine. Maybe make sure the grill is well seasoned?!

As far as it sticking to the fish, I just overlaid each one on top of the next and they stuck just fine. It actually took less time than you would think to put it altogether, but yes, it is then KEEPING it together that is the tedious part.

Welcome Poonan! I hope to see you around often!

Thanks again everyone!

Jill said...

Nat you've really outdone yourself this time! I think this looks great and the flavors sound wonderful so I wonder why your husband didn't love it. I don't have a mandoline, but this might be a strong case for getting one!

Stacey Lau said...

Gorgeous, who knew halibut could be that aesthetically pleasing? Wow. I love the idea of serving it with the left-over Bechemel sauce, because it would be great with something a little creamy.

J is not big into fish, so I don't know about the dinner for two, but I would eat this up gladly.

Prudy said...

All right hot garlic, the lines are drawn now. We can still be friends, but maybe we'll need to wait until after football season.:)

Dee said...

Wow, that looks amazing! It may be a little too fiddly for my 12 thumbs, but I got to give it a go.

Deborah said...

What an elegant meal!! YOu always make the prettiest food!

[eatingclub] vancouver || js said...

These look very, very elegant. Beautiful work!

Brilynn said...

You get definite bonus points for presentation, it looks awesome!

Nina Timm said...

That is so amazingly beautiful and healthy too! I love your site.

Kevin said...

That looks nice and fresh and good!

Debinhawaii said...

I love Halibut and this looks wonderful. Great pictures too. Congrats on being in the Finest Foodie's Friday!

Irena said...

A a great a way of cooking fish so the moisture stays inside. I'll have to give this one a go. Looks fantastic.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs