Friday, August 29, 2008

Labor Day Part II






As a kid, I was never really a huge fan of potato salad. And I still am not really, there are many other things I would choose to make before I resorted to it. However, there have been a few I've been served in recent years that have severely attempted to change my mind. And I took some of the ideas from those and made them into my own bacon-mint-garlic creation. It turned out really well, and I would highly recommend this little ditty for any weekend plans you may have...

I have been on a bacon ban, not because of the rate of consumption like the cream ban of aught-'08, but rather because I hate the bacon here! It is really more like what I would call ham, which is lovely, however, it's just my good old pal -bacon, glorious bacon! I decided to try something new, however. It all started when I began to realize that it didn't have enough fat to render off and make it crisp, so I sautéed it in oil. It worked like a charm! Ben's words were 'hey, what is this, is this 'real' bacon? Where did you get this... it almost tastes legit!' we were both so happy, {okay, I was thrilled, but was just making polite convo} -it was like having a little taste of home! I am sad that I don't really have any options for helping it crisp up for many of my beloved bacon-wrapped dishes, I still need to work it out. But for now we are once again enjoying 'almost' bacon in some dishes and perhaps even for breakie again!

As for the mayonnaise part of the dish, I made my own aioli. However, feel free to add in any store-bought mayonnaise or miracle whip that you like or have on hand. Just dress it up with a little garlic and herbs and it will be beautiful. I never would have thought I would have liked mint in potato salad, I bought my mint plant with only garnishes in mind for it, but it is really good and so fresh tasting! It really helps lighten up the richness that the aoili / mayonnaise gives. I used baby golden potatoes, but obviously red would be even better for their pretty color, just anything but russet types.

Mint and Garlic Aioli Potato Salad with Bacon

4 cups potatoes -red or golden type

1/2 red onion, diced

2 T. fresh chives

2 T. fresh mint

3-ish bacon slices / rashers

Salt

Aioli

1 egg yolk

1 tsp cold water

1-2 T. fresh mint, finely minced

1-2 T. fresh chives, finely minced

1 clove garlic, finely minced

2/3 c. oil {I used Extra-Virgin Olive, but it doesn't have to be. The Olive oil taste was quite strong and I may do half olive and half grape seed or something next time. Ben didn't think it was too olive-tasting and loved the salad, I loved it too but was I was on the fence about the oil, so I thought I'd just mention it}



Begin by boiling the potatoes, whole, until fork tender. Don't let them get too tender though, they need to be able to stay in cube form without turning to mush. Time will vary depending on their size.

Drain potatoes run under cold water. Set aside

Meanwhile, make the aioli by whisking the yolk and adding the water. Continue to whisk, incorporating as much air as possible. Slowly, drop by drop, add in the oil, all the while whisking and whisking some more, switching from left to right hands which should be numb... {yes, you will work off all of the calories from the salad this way}. When you are done you should have a light in color sauce with a similar consistency to mayonnaise.

Add in the herbs and garlic, and a pinch of salt, and stir to combine. Set aside.

Cook up the bacon and set aside.

Dice the potatoes into cubes. Finely dice the red onion. Combine the two together in a medium bowl. Crumble bacon and add as well. Add a pinch of salt. Stir in as much of the aoili as desired to moisten the potatoes, gently stirring to incorporate. Give it a taste and add any needed salt {oh yeah, and pepper}

Serve with an extra sprinkle of minced herbs on top.

...And a big thanks to Jenn, the Leftover Queen for featuring me on her weekly blog post of Finest Foodies Friday! How exciting!

35 comments:

Courtney Wilson said...

I love potato salad, and I must say adding mint is a little unusual, but I would be interested to give it a try...maybe when I get my herb garden all sorted out!!!!
You are brave to make your own mayo! I am endeavouring to do that one day! I would suggest you try one day to add some sourcream and either djion mustard or honey whole grain mustard and replace the mint with parsely. This is what makes mine taste good:)

Courtney Wilson said...

PS.... I shall make it my goal to convert you to enjoying 'real' aussie bacon!!!!!

Angela said...

Mint, garlic, and bacon potato salad? I love it! What a way to dress up the ol' classic!

Carl and Mel said...

Honestly how come you are so professional and make such yummy food. Can I please come live with you and experiment all your delicious recipes! You rock and potato salad with bacon is one of my favorites!

Gaengy said...

I would have never thought of mint in potato salad. I am trying to decide if I am brave enough to try it. Dad likes my ole classic. I love to add bacon, but he prefers not to have it. Looks super good though!

mikky said...

looks so good that i'm off to the market to grab some potatoes... thanks for sharing your recipe... :)

Lisa said...

Your labor day food looks wonderful!

Jenny said...

Hey girl, Your salad looks beautiful as ever! Love the aioli and mint touch. I'd gladly have a big bowl for our Labor Day celebration!

Lina said...

What a great twist on the typical potato salad. its an elegant version of its beloved brother.

Jill said...

Yum! I'm coming to your house for the holiday! What can I bring?

hot garlic said...

Thanks everyone!

Courtney, I'd love to see you try...

Mel, we'd love to have you any time!

Mom, it's okay, I know Dad loves his the classic way. Maybe try it out when he's out of town.

Mikky, let me know how it goes!

Thanks ya'll!

Bridgett said...

Wow, this looks delicious and I like the addition of bacon. I might even try pancetta (i'm addicted right now). I've never tried a potato salad with mint but now I am intrigued. Your photos would make anyone hungry for this!

Joe Horn said...

Looks great!!!

I had bacon for the first time in a few months today myself. Trying to cut the calories,but oh was it so good.

Pam said...

What a great sounding potato salad. I have never thought of using mint in it before.

Girl Japan said...

What a beautiful looking blog! Garlic.. did you say garlic... yum!!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'm glad you passed by my blog! It's funny how we keep bumping into each other in the comments sections, lol! I liked your blog straight away from the nice layout you have. Now I'm going to look arround. The potato salad looks great, you have no idea how much I love potato salads!

Foodycat said...

One day I will have to try some American bacon to find out how it is different! I thought bacon was bacon was bacon. Love the garlic in this.

Bellini Valli said...

Your potato salad is a "new to me" twist for my all time favourite tuber!!!

Dee said...

Congratulations on being featured on FFF :) I love the unusual addition of mint in this classic.

Patsyk said...

I love your twist on potato salad, certainly better than the plain old mayo type.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

bella said...

your labor day has pay off ,looks delicious

Kristen said...

I love your take on potato salad. Sounds yummy!
I hope you have a great weekend!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That looks/sounds absolutely delicious! A wonderful combination of flavors!

Cheers,

Rosa

Kate / Kajal said...

i have just the perfect potatoes for this salad. Will surely make this tomorrow, it looks and sounds really amazing.And yes i always make my own mayo too :)

Maria said...

I have never been a potato salad fan but I will try yours. Thanks for commenting on our blog have a great weekend

Aggie said...

This looks like a great potato salad!

Grace said...

my gramps doesn't call me tater for nothing--i would devour this! nicely done, and a big fat happy labor day to ya!

Norm Schoen said...

Check my post, I did a slightly different version of a warm potato salad that you might enjoy: http://eatrdie.blogspot.com/2008/08/grilled-red-potato-salad-with-bacon.html

Adam said...

Mmmm potato salad. Now me and potato salad, we've had our ups and downs. Sometimes we make each other happy, and other times, we fight and I leave her on the plate.

But I will tell you this, I have never had mint in my potato salad. I'm a mint kid... and this is something that made my day :)

Christie @ fig&cherry said...

Mmmmm, aioli makes everything taste better! ;)

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. I had a neighbor who was a fantastic cook and italian. She made mint potato salad and used red onion, garlic, mint, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. It was amazing. Bacon would be a fantastic addition. I'm torn between this potato salad and the classic everytime...I planted mint just to make this dish, so I have winter and then summer dish...

Deborah said...

I can't imagine living without bacon. Or potato salad for that matter. This version sounds amazing!

Kevin said...

That potato salad sounds really tasty and looks nice and creamy.

hayleynichols88 said...

Mmmm I LOVE potato salad! This looks soooo good :-D I think the best potato salad I had was at a bbq once and it had slices of red onion and sliced hot dogs (sounds weird, but definitely wonderful). My boyfriend and I always fight over potato salad, he uses salad cream and I have to have Mayo!

Sophie said...

What a tasty take on potato salad. It sounds fresh and perfect for Summer, or a Fall picnic :). I would love to feature your recipe on our Demy, the first and only Digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs