Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Passion. Fruit.


I love passion fruit! It is so tangy and has this incredible flavor. I love the seeds too. They are the enjoyable-to-eat kind of seeds, unlike annoying berry seeds. They are like big kiwi seeds, oh man, I love kiwi seeds, they are the best part of the whole thing, am I right?!

Anyway, my friend brought these delicious lemon-passion fruit cupcakes to a party I threw and I have been begging her for the recipe for weeks now. She never got back to me {you know who you are, but I won't tell... cough Alaine Kowalski cough...} I finally gave up and decided to recreate them myself! My first attempt at the cake was horrible, but the glaze happened to be spot-on. We loved it so much I have since made Passion fruit Blintzes with it and now agree it's purpose goes well beyond the original cake idea. Serve it over ice cream or waffles. Glaze home-made donuts with it... endless posibilities, endless I say!

Recipes for both the cake, which has since been perfected, and the blintzes are to come. They are a strawberry, lemon, cream cheese filled blintz the passion fruit glaze served over top. Are you salivating yet? Me too. Click here for cake recipe.

Lemon-Passion Fruit Syrup or Glaze

The juice of one lemon


The rind of one lemon

2/3 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup 'breakfast juice' {the one I used was called this, it was just a tropical based orange juice. It was a really nice one that has nectars and purees}

1-2 passion fruits {I used a little more than 1 1/2 actually}

1/2 cup vanilla sugar {It doesn't have to be, I just have vanilla beans sitting in my sugar}

1/4 teaspoon vanilla {I always use a lot, but I didn't want it to mask the great flavors this time}


Peel the entire lemon using a lemon zester. Save the beautiful little curls for later.

Squeeze the juice from the lemons and discard the seeds. Add a little bit of the juice to that and whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.

Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk together. Add half of the lemon zest and use the rest for garnish.

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, okay, I see now. I just put my name in. This sounds really tasty, I love passion fruit too. I think I'd be willing to give it a college try!

frugalisfab said...

Honesty time. I have never had passion fruit, in fact I don't think I even know what a passion fruit looks like. This DOES sound good though.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I haven't had much passionfruit in my life, but I just love those seeds - they really look beautiful!

Jeena said...

Sounds really tasty and looks beautiful.

Jenny said...

Mmmm passion fruit sounds so good, I can't say I've even had it. I'd be anxious to try this recipe though!

Kristen said...

Yum! Beautiful. I bet this is absolutely wonderful!

Deborah said...

I've never had a fresh passion fruit before. It does sound good, though - and now I'm intrigued about those seeds!

Aggie said...

I'd like to have one of these! mmm

Come by my blog when you get a chance, I have an award waiting for you! : )

Liberal Mormon said...

Where do you get your Passion Fruits? Most of the very few I've found around town are from New Zealand and are not the nice big yellow ones I had in Brazil. My mother in-law came to visit from Brazil and brought me seeds finally and they just started to sprout. Hope they grow!

Maria said...

I love passion fruit! We had passion fruit sorbet at our wedding! It was fabulous!!

hot garlic said...

Thanks everyone for your nice comments!

Thanks for the Award Aggie!

Maria, PF Sorbet sounds HEAVENLY!

Hey Liberal Mormon, I get my Passion Fruits at the grocery store because right now I 'live' in a place very near to New Zealand. We get local Passion Fruit from Queensland and they also send in the South American Passion fruit. I buy them because they are bigger and I guess I have a little Texas mentality in me. But I probably should be buying the nice, fresh local ones!

Good luck with your tree, how exciting! Keep this recipe on hand for when you start producing some fruit.

PS -you must not live in Utah if you are growing a PF tree!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs