Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a {sad} tale of no camera -and some cannelloni thrown in




UPDATE!

Here are some updates to the original post. I did try it today with a few changes -first, instead of the Tamarillo Sauce, {recipe coming tomorrow} I tried them with a White Wine Beschemel Sauce and WOW, were they good. I can't decide which sauce I liked better! Though the Beschemel Sauce really deserves a post of it's own, you can find it down at the bottom of the page.


I also baked one up on an individual plate and it turned out simply gorgeous. Don't use big plates like I did though! A little desert plate will suffice.

Also try this way, as mentioned, in a casserole with plenty of space so that you can actually SEE them individually.




Okay, first off, I SWEAR my nose is not that big. It's just evil overhead lighting. And second, heck yeah we went to the Sydney Opera House last weekend! It was nothing short of an AMAZING night!

We drove into the city and had dinner at Darling Harbour at a restaurant called Coast {I had White Truffle Butter Pasta and Ben had some spaecci {or something like that!} with Rabbit -if you must know}. This was a pic -not a good one, of us last time we dined there, and as you can see we had to resort to our crappy camera phones that night as well. It basically looks like I did a {bad} photoshop job of cutting and pasting us in, but alas, I am not that talented...


So it was all Ben's idea. He got us tickets to they Symphony, which I pretended I was excited about. See, Ben loves that type of music {nerd alert!} and has all kinds of it on his Ipod -mostly Movie Soundtracks {did you get my nerd alert? Okay, he's actually really not a nerd at all, and is really, really funny, it's just he seems like a nerd compared to the amount of coolness I exude...right?}. Anyway, I, on the other hand, take it like Janet - so gimme a beat! A few days before this, when we were on our way to Bondi beach, I had seen some posters for The Kranky Sisters, also playing at the Opera House selected nights. I had no idea who these sistas were, but they sounded like good times, and I secretly wished we were going to see what this Krankiness was all about.

However, we got there and the Symphony was actually playing 'Crime Time' -which turned out to be selected themes from movies about crimes. We heard Bond, Basic Instinct, 6th Sense, Matrix, etc. It was AWESOME, seriously. There is nothing like being in a room hearing, seeing, FEELING the music being made. There were a few other movies from earlier times that seriously made me want to bust it out! It took some serious restraint for me not to make my way to the aisle and shake it. And just being there, it was electric! I could just kick myself for days for forgetting the camera.

What does this have to do with Roasted Pumpkin and Ricotta Cannelloni? Nothing, sorry.

And again, don't get too used to the extra pics. It took a LOT of extra time to do this, but I just had to snap a couple of extra shots because the ingredients I was working with were just so beautiful!

I was already thinking about making up a recipe using Roasted Pumpkin and Ricotta, but I had a friend who told me she bought something similar at some fancy Italian deli and was baking them up the other night, and that's when I decided this would be it! Halve this recipe for smaller families, or I haven't tried but I'm sure these have to freeze well...


-Oops. I got a little into the season finale of Project Runway Australia and let the cheese get extra toasty... hmmmm, not bother

Roasted Pumpkin and Ricotta Cannelloni

{with Roasted Tomato, Tamarillo, and Red Pepper sauce as pictured}

10-12 cooked Cannelloni

1 small Kent pumpkin {see below to see a pic of the one I used, or use butternut squash or Jap, probably called something else at home but it is the gray one}

salt

olive oil

1 small package ricotta {I threw it away, I don't know how many grams it was and I certainly don't know how many ounces it would be back home. It seemed to be about 3/4 cupish?}

1/2 cup mozzarella

3 cloves garlic

3/4 c. fresh grated Parmiggiano



Cut this pumpkin {called Kent in Oz, but Amber says possibly Kabacha Squash}:



To look like this:




Drizzle with a touch of Olive Oil and give it a sprinkle of salt. Roast in a HOT oven {I all but did it under the broiler so that it would burn and carmelize without turning to complete mush -seriously, I set it on the top rack with the oven at full throttle} until it looks like this: {about 20 minutes?}

PS -The pumpkin tastes great at this stage too, I serve it as a side and it is a hit!

Let them cool down, otherwise you'll melt the cheese when you make the filling-of which I learned the hard way!

Once cooled, mash together with the cheeses, garlic, and salt to taste. You should have a nice consistency filling on your hands!

Fill a piping bag {or ziploc bag in my case, which worked fine!} with the filling, and carefully snip a rather big, but not too big! corner of the bag if you used one.

Also, prep a baking dish or plates with some non-stick spray.

During this time, you should have been able to cook the pasta in some salted water. Once they are cool enough to touch, open them up and pipe the filling in {it's tricky, I know! -Do your best!} Here's how they should look:


Bake them individually covered in sauce and cheese, or all together in a baking dish covered with sauce and cheese -your choice.* I did a Roasted Tomato, Red Pepper, and Tamarillo Garlic Sauce which was DELICIOUS and I will share with you next.

Feel free to use a white sauce of your choice {I'm baking some up tomorrow so check back for pics of that that I will add}, any other kind of red sauce -Marinara or Napolitana etc. Or any other sauce you think would pair well -be creative! And Bon Appetite!



*I baked mine so far all together, and I think you loose some of the fancy-ness of it. It is kind of like, why go to all of the trouble of filling them if you can't tell that is what has been done?! Next time I may just do a lasagna in that case -since I can get whole-wheat sheets like I love. Otherwise, see above for serving suggestions.

White Wine Beschemel Sauce

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup flour

about 1/4 cup dry white wine

1 1/2 cups milk or cream or any mixture of the two

1 clove garlic, minced

1/3 cup grated Reggiano

Melt the butter and add in the flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring. It should be a nice paste.

Add in the white wine and stir for about 30 seconds {don't be scared, it will look like it is turning into choux and get real thick like dough} and quickly add in the milk / cream and whisk like a mad man / woman until it is back to smooth.

Continue stirring until thickened and bubbly and add in the cheese and garlic, as well as salt to taste {1/2 tsp?}

Refrigerate any leftovers {you won't have any}.

* You will need to double this recipe {at least -mama likes it saucy!} for the Cannelloni if you plan to cover all of them with this sauce.



And a HUGE thanks to Pam of For the Love of Cooking blog and Rachel and Sara {did I miss a sister?!} from My Sisters' Cucina for the

Award. Thanks you guys, I love both y'alls blogs this much too so please check them out!

And another massive thank-you to my new British friend Hayley of Away with the Fairy Cakes for the
Award. I really appreciate it. A girl never can have too many awards so thanks, it means so much to me! Please stop by Hayley's blog and tell her I sent 'cha!


I am WAY behind in giving some awards out, but I've got a long list so stay tuned for next time when I'll take the time to get it done!

34 comments:

hayleynichols88 said...

Mmmm this looks yummy! I've just seen the time on your blog, how are you awake at this time let alone blogging?!?! It's ten past 1 in the afternoon here :-P

CECIL said...

I have never had roasted pumpkin cannelloni before and this just sounds like a winnder!!

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing this creation - I now HAVE to make it this weekend :o)

Maria said...

Wow, pumpkin cannelloni? Sounds to die for! Thanks for posting the recipe and fabulous photos!

So how long have you lived in Australia? Looks so fun!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, what a delicious looking dish! Comforting too! Why am I hungry now ;-P?

Cheers,

Rosa

Esi said...

That sounds like a fun night!! The cannelloni looks and sounds so good. I am so excited for fall here with all the winter squash and pumpkins.

Steph said...

How exciting for you guys! What a fun date! Oh how I would love to go out on a date with my husband in Australia...never gonna happen.

The pumpkin looks so delicious! I will have to give this a try definitely!

Pam said...

Nat, you crack me up! What a fun night for you and your man. My husband (who LOVES music) would be in heaven if he could see, feel and hear music like that.

The pumpkin cannelloni looks fantastic. I have never cooked with pumpkin, except for pies, but this recipe makes me want to.

hayleynichols88 said...

Awww your 'new British friend' I'm blushing :-D xxx

Aggie said...

I loved reading this post Natalie...I love traveling and seeing new places and seeing that Opera House would have made me very very excited! (although I wouldn't call myself a fan of the music!)

Your recipe sounds delicious. I haven't experimented much with pumpkin or butternut squash but I may have to break out of my comfort zone and try this. Great job!

Amber said...

Thank you for the sweet comment. You have the most adorable family (just in case you didn't know). I think the pumpkin you used is called kabacha squash here in the states. Roast squash in anything is one of my favorites in the fall and winter so I bookmarked this. But you I believe are in spring now. Watermelon at Christmas just cracks me up.

Megan said...

Very Fun, great pics. Pumpkin time is coming!!! yeah

Your pictures are getting better and better!

Deborah said...

Hehe - I must be a nerd because I would LOVE to go to they symphony. I've successfully dragged my husband to a few Broadway productions, but I think he'd draw the line at the symphony or opera or ballet. A girl can dream, though.

This recipe sounds amazing - and perfect for a Utah Fall/Winter!

rebabell said...

Thanks for the comment. I feel the same way about the Twilight series now, as you can tell. I actually just read "These is My Words" and it's one of my faves as well. I cried and cried at the end. Love your blog and all the yummy recipes!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Those are I'm sure some darn tasty cannelloni! Glad you had fun at the Opera!

Bridgett said...

Oooh, great take on the cannelloni!

Adam said...

Haha exuding coolness? Just by using the word exuding you show coolness :)

Looks like you guys had quite the fun night, even with the opera (I'm with you on that one), but I like the idea of the 'crime time', very interesting.

Oh, I don't want to take up a ton more comment space, but:
-Pumpkin anything is awesome
-Congrats on the awards
-Remind me not to eat and read your blog, it's dangerous :)

Joe Horn said...

Cool... I would love to be able to check out the Opera House. I don't think I could stand the flight from the US though.

The pictures look great. We just started making pumpkin bread, pumpkin bars with cream cheese on top and pumpkin cheesecake along with pumpkin spice lattes in the restaurant for the start of fall.

I love the fall. Winter I can do without, but fall is perfect!

Great job on the photos too. They are always getting better and better.

lemon_tart said...

Thanks for your lovely comments!

And that cannelloni looks wonderful. I will try that one out for sure.

Jenny said...

Great post girl! That picture of you and your hubby is adorable, I don't know what you are talking about. Sounds like a great night and your recipe looks and sounds delish!

Emily said...

Oh roasted squash is soooo good! What a great recipe! What a fun concert to attend (what we do for our hubby's) But a night out is a night out and what a night out for you! Fun, fun!

Grace said...

yum, yum, yum, and yum. that does look like a kabocha squash, which is one of my absolute favorite varieties. and those sauces--dang. :)
meanwhile, i'm glad ya'll had a lovely evening out!

Jessica said...

The more I peak at your blog the cuter it is, I'm really loving your posts and pics!

Thanks for the Wonton Cups comment - they are totally chic! I have 1/2 a pack in the fridge I plan to play with this weekend with butternut squash puree and goat cheese!

That's cool on the Durham connection too - it's the coolest place I could have ever imaged for being a foodie! If you time check this recent article out in my post here: http://johnstonesvinblanc.blogspot.com/2008/09/creamy-chicken-apple-chili.html

Prudy said...

OK. I know I'm not supposed to cover, but seriously! The Opera House and roasted pumpkin canneloni? I've got to make it and we've got pumpkins making their appearance everywhere? OK, and also, you're way too cute and exuding waaay too much coolness,you're right. Could you tone it down a notch and give the rest of us a chance?:)
Congrats on the awards!

mikky said...

wow... great pictures... great place... great recipe... :)

michelle @ TNS said...

nothing covered in becshamel sauce can be bad. nothing. and the best part is that it's so good for you!

sigh. if only.

Pam said...

The white sauce looks amazing! The new picture of you is great too.

Ashley said...

Seriously awesome. I would love to dine at your house for a week. BTW I love the pic of you by your title.

Lisa said...

Beautiful pictures and yummy cannelloni. I like your new picture also...you look adorable!

Gaengy said...

My my aren't we fancy! I think this one is out of my league...totally gourmet, but it looks divine. Love your new picture and the updates on the recipe!

alexandra's kitchen said...

what a feat! these look beautiful and sound amazing. Roasted pumpkin and ricotta?! what a yummy combination. I am going to set aside a weekend to make this recipe!

Dhanggit said...

oh everything i see in this post is beautiful specially the cook :-) hehehe! Thanks for sharing all these dear :-)

Bellini Valli said...

This is a perfect dish for the season:D

Mekhismom said...

Now that looks wonderful. As do all of your recipes. A question - are you a professional photographer or is it just one of your hobbies? I ask because your photos are gorgeous.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs