Sunday, September 07, 2008

Sailor's Risotto?






There is this dish in me Mum's repertoire that we used to LOVE as kids. It was so tasty, and any day she made it was a jubilant day that we voraciously devoured seconds {and thirds!}. As I grew up, I took this dish with me, and continued to make it for myself in college and other single living situations. I had a brief stint in Florida and because of the nature of the hours I was working, I loved having a seriously satisfying, quick, healthy meal like this that I could whip up after a long day in the heat.

However, my roommates thought it was the WEIRDEST thing anyone had ever made -Bacon... onions... and green beans? 'Like this is totally too weird for us... we've never heard of such a thing...' They made fun of me and everything! I continued making it, because it was that sort of a slam-dunk, tick-all-of-the boxes type of a meal, but I have to say it did make me feel a little self-conscious that they not only thought it was a weird meal, but that I was weird for making it...

Flash forward to years later, when Ben and I were in Seoul, we were invited to a dinner party at one of the restaurants at the Grand Intercontinental. It was a gorgeous restaurant, as you can imagine. It was a world class, 5 star buffet with dishes featured from around the world. As I perused around, looking for something I could keep down, as I was pregnant at the time, I came upon a lovely, enclosed silver dish called 'Sailor's Risotto'. Hmmm... this sounded intriguing. I opened it up to find that somehow, someone from half-way across the world, had found my Mom's secret recipe for Onions, Green Beans, and Bacon! Unbelievable, yah? Of course I was able to keep spoonfuls and spoonfuls of it down, as food from your childhood is strangely comforting when you're pregnant.

Anyway, whether it is called SR or Haricots Verts with Prosciutto and Sauteed Onions, as my all-gussied-up version is, it such a great meal as a Side, Appetizer, or Main. And as a side note, I look back on those room mates who made fun of me and hope that they've gained some appreciation for the finer things in life. Duh, bacon / prosciutto aren't WEIRD fools, they're MFEO! I've also realized that I wasn't the weird one... many of you probably grew up with or have found this dish at some point and it is pretty common, not strange!


Prosciutto & Haricots Verts with Sautéed Onions and Garlic

1 small onion

1 clove garlic

1/4 cup prosciutto pieces {or heck yeah, cooked and crumbled bacon}

2 cups haricots verts {green beans}

Olive Oil {or butter... or bacon grease}

Salt

Slice the onion into half rings and mince the garlic. Over very low heat, sweat the onion, adding the garlic about 5 minutes into it.

Meanwhile. Wash and prepare the haricots. Trim the ends but leave whole.

Place the beans in a saute pan with about 1/4 of water. Cover, and cook over high heat until tender crisp. Drain and return to the stove

Add a tiny drizzle of olive oil to the beans and add the onions & garlic, and prosciutto. Saute for a minute or two, until desired tenderness is reached. Serve warm as a side or the main attraction after a long day!

And I just want to say a big 'Thank-you' to Ragan at Blogger Boutique for designing and installing the new look of HOTGP! I think it looks so great and it is exactly what I wanted! I was nervous about who to hire on my limited budget, and even though Ragan didn't have a single blog in her portfolio that was modern style, something told me she would still be able to pull it off! I'm so thrilled with the result!

I so enjoyed working with her, and I so appreciate her dedication to my project.
If you are looking for a project small or big, I would have to say I highly recommend her. I truly now know her talents are limitless!

Thanks again Ragan!

29 comments:

Foodycat said...

Well look at you and your fancy new site! I don't know what beans and bacon have to do with risotto but it sounds like a fantastic way to serve beans!

Adam said...

I really dig the new layout Nat. It's very clean, futuristic, and easy to read. Nice colors too :)

As for the green beans and bacon... sign me up. How can a room mate not love that intoxicating smell at any time of the day? Sure poor kid blue box mac n cheese

Dee said...

Love the new look! Very chic :) Love the bean & bacon combo, but I'm lost as to why it's called sailor's risotto.

Maria said...

I love love love the new look! How fun! And bacon and green beans aren't weird, it looks awesome!

Gaengy said...

Congrats on the new sight! It looks really cool! I love how bright it is. The pictures really stand out now! Great job. Love it!

frugalisfab said...

The new look is fabulous! I hated the Sailor's Risotto when I was growing up. Everyone was rejoicing except for me. I LOVE it now. If only I could convince the rest of my family of it's deliciousness.

Lisa said...

Believe it or not I have made green beans with prosciutto and onions. I love it. And everything tastes better with prosciutto!

_ts of [eatingclub] vancouver said...

What!!? Of all the combinations, bacon-onion-green beans is the LAST thing I would think of that would be "weird" to anybody! Crazies. ;D

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

These look delicious! There is nothing weird about veggies and bacon! I love your new look! It looks awesome!

Joe Horn said...

Green Beans and Bacon, sounds great to me. I was like your roommates back in my early 20's. I wouldn't eat anything green and onions, oh no!

haha

Jenny said...

Hey girl,
Great dish, I make this all the time in the summer just for myself and don't share with anyone! I love prosciutto. Have a great Sunday!

alexandra's kitchen said...

Not a weird combination at all! I worked with a catering company a long time ago and the favorite side dish was the haricots verts with the cipollini onions. this looks delicious.

Jocee Bergeson said...

I love the new modern look! It is seriously awesome. I also am excited to try this bean recipe...sounds yummy and not wierd at all. :)

Prudy said...

OH yes, we eat our green beans this way too and they are delish. OK, what were you doing in seoul a few years ago? What are you doing in Australia? My curiosity is provoked and I need some more info on you and your highly interesting life, you world traveler.

Joie de vivre said...

Gorgeous pictures!

Emiline said...

Looks great!
I'm actually sick of my parent's slow-cooked green beans. These look much better.

Pam said...

Looks great. What's not to love about green beans and bacon. Yum! I like the new layout.

Grace said...

green beans are good any which way you make 'em, but adding bacon is clearly a superior treatment. :)
great new design, by the way!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

i looooooooovet the new look! It's very classy-modern and suites you i think! I don't think that combo is weird... Maybe I'm weird myself...

Sara said...

I love your new look! It's very hip! Your green beans look great!

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

The new layout is fab! :) And beans and bacon? Perfect, not weird!

bec said...

I also love the new layout... though I miss your pretty face that was on the old one. And I love that you "Frenched-up" your title... everything's sweeter in French, right? (I mean that, though... being a [graduated] French language major!) Always a fan. Keep up the great work. :)

Courtney said...

So I was a little confused at the title as Risotto should have the risotto rice in it, right??? Anyway I have had this dish before and its just yummo!!! I forgot about it until I read here, so guess whats on the dinner menu this week??? Kids tend to eat more veges when there's some good ol 'aussie' bacon in it!!!! (Had to add that,hehehehe!!!)

hot garlic said...

Awh, Bec, that's so sweet of you to say! I meant to launch the new site with a new pic, but the designer was too on the ball and I don't have the new photos ready. Check back, maybe tomorrow, and there will be a new photo. Thanks for saying that, it made my day!

Thanks everyone!

Jaime said...

why would people find this weird? everything is better with bacon! plus it's kind of like a grown up version of everyone's favorite green bean casserole, just w/o the canned fried onions and canned cream of mushroom soup!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delicious way of preparing beans! Try adding one finely chopped tomato...

I love your blog's new look!

Cheers,

Rosa

Kate Gildea said...

MMM...I totally forgot about this! So yummy! One of Mom's favorite..when are you going to post hte recipe for weaner's with tater's and cheese...another of my childhood favorites! Gross.

AnneMarie said...

Love your new layout! I also love grn beans w/bacon, my grandma made them every Easter and so now I make them too.

Deborah said...

I grew up on green beans and bacon. But we always had canned green beans, which I can't stand today! Love the new blog look btw!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs