Monday, October 27, 2008

Aye Yai Yai




I'm say Ai Yai Yai not only because I'm featuring 'Mexican' food today, but also because I am staring out the window to my backyard as I type:

This is how it looked before yesterday, these are actual pictures I took:



And here is what I'm staring at today:




Yeah, it really sucks. Every inch of vegeatation was leveled to make way for new homes on the 5 acres behind us. I'm not able to walk around my house without being fully dressed as I so love to do, which is so depressing. I should have added that to my se7en list...

Anyway, as we contemplate a possible move since chain saws and excavators have become our 7 am alarm clock, chew on this. It's a Mexican Spring roll with delicious guacamole as a dipping sauce. It is delicious, as you would expect any fried food to be. It is a variation of this veggie burger on Prudy's blog a while ago, and is sensational served burger style as well -just DON'T skimp on the guac!

I did EVERYTHING from scratch. It started with the black beans, which due to their cost and scarcity here, I decided to invest in whole beans and do them myself. I also grilled, skinned, and minced my own bullhorn chilies. And corn.

I'm not going to lie, doing it this way is a real beyotch. Especially when your cooking hungry, hence cranky. But it is worth it, especially to have such a delicious meal that has so much good stuff in it, and is healthy {up until the point you fry it...} Making it as burgers is REALLY delicious too. It makes so much that it is pretty easy to make some of both and eat it two ways over two days.



Southwest Corn, Brown Rice, and Black Bean filling / Burgers

2 cups cooked brown rice

1 cup cooked black beans {see recipe below}, or 1 can drained

1 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon cumin

scant 1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 small onion, diced and sauteed until translucent

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1 small can fire roasted green chillis

1/4 cup salsa

2-3 roasted, peeled, and sliced bullhorn chilies of assorted colors

1 ear grilled corn, kernels sliced off

1 egg

1/4 cup to 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons olive oil for frying burgers / skillet of oil for spring rolls

Grated cheese in mix for spring rolls, sliced cheese for on top of burgers


For Filling:

Mix rice, beans, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, onion, cilantro, green chilies, salsa, corn, roasted chilies, and egg in large bowl. Mixture will be very moist. Add flour and mix.

For Burgers:

Dust the outside of the patties lightly with flour. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and warm. Add patties and cook until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Sprinkle with cheese, reduce heat to low and cover with lid to melt cheese.

For Springrolls:

Place about 1/3 -1/2 cup of mixture at the corner of a springroll wrapper. Begin rolling, then fold in the side and finish rolling. Fry in hot oil, turning to get all sides golden brown

Black Beans From Scratch:

Rinse and sort out any bad beans. Soak according to package directions, or do a quick soak by boiling in a saucepan or pot, turning off the heat and letting sit for 20 minutes, and draining.

Fill Pot up with fresh water. Sprinkle with salt, and add a bay leaf. Add some kind of small ham or pork hock, or add to cooked bacon rashers {I used 1 piece with the middle bacon attached}. Add 1/2 or 1 small onion, diced, and 1 clove minced garlic.

Cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender.

35 comments:

Daziano said...

Really nice recipe, and I love that little bird! Sorry about the new homes...

Gaengy said...

I love Prudy's burgers! What a fun idea to make a spring roll from it. This is one of my favorite recipes ever! Sad news with the loss of your vegetation, privacy, and the beatiful birds!!

Erika said...

I am so sorry to see those pictures! How sad! Man, looks like you USED to have a beautiful bird sanctuary for a back yard!

Erin said...

that looks better than anything i ever had south of the border. and that's a dirty shame about the high price/scarcity of beans... wish ya would've said something earlier... i could have fedex-ed you oodles of any kind of frijoles you wanted for mere pennies.

Jocee Bergeson said...

So lame about the tearing down of all that gorgeous vegetation behind you guys....however, beware, moving stinks. Have you forgotten?! 7AM every day is nothing compared to packing and unpacking. :)

Emily said...

Bummer about your backyard! What a great view you had! (In UT our house was on the edge of the wilderness forever because of desert tortoises, apparently they don't care too much about them anymore because they are developing EVERYTHING under the sun!) Anywho I LOVE this recipe! My hubby would think that I was one hot mama if I made this for him!

Esi said...

Wow!! What a difference a day makes in the case of your backyard. Sorry you have to deal with that. On the bright side that's a really great meal that you put together!!

Nilz said...

Wonderful recipe. And sad to see those changes in your beautiful backyard landscape.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great recipe! Absolutely yummy! Sorry about your backyard...

Cheers,

Rosa

Jessica said...

I lvoe the culture mix-up of placing mexican ingredients inside a spring roll. I can just imagine how fun they'd be dipped in gucamole! Thanks for the creative idea.

That's a bummer about the construction taking place, awe...it makes it harder when you knew how gorgeous it was beforehand.

VeggieGirl said...

Hooray for Mexican food, but boo to your ruined views!! :0(

Bellini Valli said...

These sound amazing...I REALLY need to try them:D My parents also experienced an similar experience where one day they had nothing but rows of maple trees and flocks of cardinals and then houses!!!!!!

Prudy said...

Oh yumma, yumma! This is how my mom makes my burgers too. As filling and I love it. So sorry about your backyard. What to do? I feel like I'm watching the Lorax from Dr. Seuss.

mikky said...

that was a great view you had... too bad that it has to be taken away... great recipe... will have to give it a try... :)

bricole said...

Ugh! How sad. I hope you are able to make the best of this rotten situation. We had a similar thing happen to us, but we did find a tiny upside. The kids were mesmerized for hours by all of construction equipement. Good luck.

Maria said...

Sorry about the mess around your house. Not fun!! The burgers look fantastic though!

Sophie said...

YUM! I love the idea of a Mexican spring roll :).

Jenny said...

YUM! The nerve of those people to interupt your morning, I'd be peeved myself! Your rolls look fantastic, we are all about Mexican around here!

Adam said...

Well when life hands you bulldozers, make Springrolls :) Sorry to hear about the next door chaos, and the inability to walk around naked outside. I mean isn't that what's having a back yard all about :)

Pam said...

These are calling my name and making my mouth water. Great recipe.

What a bummer about the new homes. Your view was beautiful.

Kristen said...

It all looks delicious!
That is too bad about your neighborhood. Look on the bright side... maybe the new home will come with fabulous new foodie neighbors who love to throw and invite you to dinner parties :)

jen said...

haha the same thing happened to hub's parents, they put up a fence for compensation though. I'm pretty sure even if there was no fence they'd still walk around naked.

btw, I gave you another award. I know you already got a bagillion, and that PPE gave the same one to you recently, but whatever. :)

http://delightfuldelicacies.blogspot.com/2008/10/hey-look-i-got-award.html

Grace said...

like to walk around half-nekkid, do ya? me too. :)
meanwhile, your mexican food sounds spectacular. eat some for me, would ya?

Allison & Noah Riley said...

Oh man, these are my favorite appetizer at Cafe Sabor. In fact, I usually just order as my meal. I'm making them. SOON. Also, because I'm not all that domestic, I don't know how to make guacamole. I bet I could google it, but if you have a fool-proof recipe, hook a sister up.

Lisa said...

These are brilliant!Sorry about your view:(

M & C Hall said...

Mmm. Looks so good, but I can't say I could handle doing it all from scratch.

I can say that I've been obsessed with pesto lately (thanks to your pesto chicken pasta). Tell me what is the best way to keep my fresh basil, well, fresh?

Sandy said...

oh my, your food looks delicious!

sorry about the homes coming in behind you (grrr...)

Candy said...

These look so worth the trouble. Sorry about your backyard. "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!"

Deborah said...

That stinks about all the construction - no fun!! But these burgers sound delicious - even if they were a pain to make!!

Girl Japan said...

Ooooh.... Now I have Mexican food in my mind..and can't shake it!

I hear you on the beans... I mean SERIOUSLY. Aye Yai Yai Yai! "giggles"

What happened to the back yard..it is all gone = ( I'll have to buy some tortillas because this gal can not do them by hand not to mention where in the heck can I find corn meal.. YIKES.

Anyway, you do everything with flair did you say dinner was at 8?

Prudence said...

What a bummer that they are tearing down that beautiful area! You recipes look great! I stumbled across your blog and am happy that I did. I will be back for a visit for sure!!

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

Sucks about the levelling - hope that bird is okay. Looks like a damn hurricane went through.

Those burgers sound insanely good. I love me some black beans too :)

hot garlic said...

Thanks Everyone for your comments! I appreciate all of the support and sympathy. Yes, I'm sure it has happened to many of you too. I think I'll take out my revenge by moving to a nieghborhood of brand-new houses...

THanks Daziano, Gaengy, Erika!

Thanks Erin, I'd love a frijole hook-up!

Yes Jocee, I must be crazy!

So sad Emily, I feel your pain!

Thanks Esi, Rosa, Nilz, Jessica, and Veggiegirl and Bellini Valli!

Hey Prudy, did you not read the post?? This IS your Mom's recipe? Hello??

Thanks Mikky, Bricole, Maria, Sophie, Jenny, Adam, Pam!

Hopefully Kristen, thanks!

Thanks Jen!

Yesiree Grace!

Thanks Alison {and Noah!}

Thanks Lisa!

Yay! Thanks Carrie!

Thanks Sandy, Candy, Deborah!

Girl Japan, you're great! I love your in depth comments!

Thanks Prudence!

Thanks Laura, I know my back yard is NOTHING like what you have going on, but it stinks to me {though not as much as a plant...}

Bharti said...

That looks like a fabulous recipe! Everything from scratch IS fun sometimes. That's so sad about the lovely vegetation..man.

Foodycat said...

This is what happens when you live in Castle Hill. I think "Pave paradise, put up a parking lot" is the council motto.

However, your Mexican food looks fantastic!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs