Saturday, October 25, 2008

It's Apple Time

Okay, I am submitting this once, and only once, for Prudy, and only Prudy, to a Tagged. I don't know why I hate doing them about myself so much -because I LOVE to read them when others post them!. Whether it is people that I've known my whole life like friends and family, or perfect strangers like my foodie friends, I just love reading them. But hate doing them. So again, if you're thinking of tagging me, go ahead, but don't expect me to actually do it!

Se7en things I did before:

* Uni student at USU, UVSC, and finally UofU where I graduated in Mass Comm
* Instituted Dance hour at the Quickstop at USU Student Center
* Worked at every possible phone solicitation company possible, sorry about that! Didn't mean to disturb your dinner!
* Tried to sell copy machines at Imagistics
* Opened several successful and thriving businesses before age 11 {okay, TRIED to, I'm a little entrepreneurial}
* Sold Pest Control Door to Door during summer break in Orlando Florida
* Studied Korean and Mandarin Chinese while living in Asia for 3 years

Se7en things I do now
:

* Launching an exciting, food related business, more details to come
* Take care of one pet monkey {Gabe} and one pretty princess {Laine}
* Bike anywhere possible with my bike trailer and two kids in tow, or if just one kid then the bike seat
* Keep in touch with my family on Skype
* Plan my future, enjoy the present
* Ignore the house and blog or any other activity that can keep me from my chores
* cook, bake, laugh, create

Se7en things I want to do:

* Run a successful business that is exciting and fulfilling
* Travel to Europe
* Settle somewhere fantastic... someday...
* Learn to get organized, or at least pay somebody to do it for me
* Take a class, not sure which one, not sure it matters, just a class
* Teach a class
* Make someone's day

Se7en things that attract me about the opposite sex:

Patience
Generosity
Caring / Empathy
Loving
Mature
Hilarious
Gives a lot of himself

Se7en Favorite Foods {subject to change by the minute}:

Pesto, especially Pesto Cream but really anything Pesto
Vegetables done well
Hummus with fresh flatbread
Beef with any kind of wine sauce and mushrooms
A really good pizza {not talking Dominos or Pizza Hut}
Fresh fruit on a hot summer day
TREATS!

Se7ven things I say most often:

To the car! To the car! To the car! To the car! To the car!
To the bike! To the bike! To the bike! To the bike!
NO Laine! No treats, chocolate, lollies, sugar, candy bars, cookies, brownies, that thing...!
Ah he he he {nervous laughter...} I kid, but I do laugh a lot
G'day Mate! Not really, unless they say it to me, which they do, so I say it back
Ah Damn. Yes, I do say it. More than I should. But it's not a swear here! And you know it could be worse!
I'm so _____ I could DIE! I'm a little dramatic...


Okay, on to the good stuff. Food! While traveling in QLD I succummbed to the $4.00 muffins at Muffin Break. I went for a 98% fat free Raspberry Muffin that was exquisite! I knew that instant that I HAD to replicate. I thought about using applesauce, which I had heard some people used to sub for fat. I looked and looked, but couldn't find any. I have since realized I was looking in the wrong aisle. That was AFTER I went to the trouble of making homemade, SANS nigty apple peeler {hence carpel tunnel and hand blisters}. Who cares, it was INCREDIBLE and I'll never buy store-bought again.

After some experiementation, I came up with with a lemon / cinnamon / vanilla bean creation that I sweetened with brown sugar. The best part about it is that I can trick myself into thinking that I've had a treat when I eat it. Seriously, that is such a break-through. My sweet-tooth satiated with fruit!

I've been digging it plain, loving experimenting with it for the muffins, and most recently topped Roasted Pork with it, which was a huge hit at our house. I used a combo of Pink Lady, Fuji, and Granny Smith, and I also did one batch with Quince, but we didn't like that batch as well and will stick with plain old apples. It turns shiny, golden, and melt-in-your mouth delicious. Well worth the work and blisters, even if you don't have an apple peeler and/or corer like me.

Brown Sugar and Vanilla Bean Apple Sauce

10 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples

1/2 cup packed brown sugar {I don't like it too sweet, add more if ya like}

Juice of 1 1/2 -2 lemons {plus zest if you like it extra lemony}

1 vanilla bean, seed it and throw in both the seeds and cook with the pod

Place all ingredients in a large stock pot and cook for 30-ish minutes or until apples are soft and begin to break apart. Mash with a hand masher or just stir until a good chunky consistency is reached.




Onion and Garlic Roasted Pork Chops with Pan Jus and Apple Sauce


1 Pork Roast {I used a leg roast, not sure it was my favorite}

1 onion

2 cloves garlic

Herbs if desired {I didn't use any because I wasn't sure how the flavors would mesh with the sweet apples, but I think Thyme would have been nice and it makes a beautiful garnish!}

Slice the onions into rings. Slice the garlic. Place in the bottom of a roasting pan. Top with the roast, and season all sides generously with sea salt. {My roast had PLENTY of fat, so I didn't add olive oil, but add if it it is a lean cut}.

Bake at 350 degrees until juices run clear and meat is done all the way through {it will vary greatly depending on the size!} Allow meat to rest, then slice and top each with homemade apple sauce.


And thanks Prudy for the award. It is nice to recieve an award from one who is so Kreative herself. And many thanks to whoever designed this award since it is so cute and I'm excited to put it on my sidebar. I will pass it on soon, but won't make anyone do a tagged. But please feel free to fill it out if you would like to, I would love to read it!



And also a HUGE thanks to Mikky at My Finds. She is a great blogger from the Phillipines who blogs about her culinary adventures in her kitchen or in restaurants around the city. She is so great to always leave a comment or nice word. Thanks Mikky!


And one last thanks to the Purple People Eatery for another Excellent Award. Much appreciated!

29 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

LOVE the "Se7en Things" lists!! Especially since you instituted a dance hour before, and love fresh fruit on a hot day now - so fun :-D

That applesauce variety of yours is SO innovative!! I love it!!

Congratulations on the well-deserved award!!

Lisa said...

Awesome applesauce! Love the extra flavors. I love reading the memes but i am like you and do not like doing them.

RecipeGirl said...

I love the idea of adding vanilla to applesauce. That's a nice twist!

Tiffany said...

Your apple photos are gorgeous- I love the bowl full of mixed apples.
Thanks for sharing both recipes. I love to make homemade applesauce, and am excited to add vanilla bean to my recipe next time.

diva said...

what a divine apple sauce recipe! i adore apple sauce and can't not have it with pork chops. thanks for sharin this ;) x

mikky said...

love reading your 7 things... good luck to your up-coming food related business... and the apple sauce, lovely... btw, wondering if you already saw your award at my place...
thanks... :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great meme! It's interesting to learn more about you...

What a wonderful applesauce !

Cheers,

Rosa

Sandy said...

Your applesauce sounds delish!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Nice to read about you. I'm the same, love to read, not so much to do them. But was tagged for the same one, so I might do it sometime soon.
Wonderful pics of the apple sauce! For me anything gets better with vanilla!

Aggie said...

Loved reading your seven things! I'm wondering if you came to my door in Orlando?

I've been wanting to make my own applesauce...yours sounds heavenly.

Jessica said...

Killer applesauce combo - I saw a vanilla bean lemonade once too (don;t know why that came to me just now ;p)

Yes, I know what you mean about coming back from vacation and it taking 1-2 weeks to get your life back inorder. Hope you're getting there!

Esi said...

You're the coolest and I love reading your "seven things". The applesauce is great and can be used in so many ways.

Bharti said...

Enjoyed reading your meme.
And yes I agree home made apple sauce is amazing. I remember the times when my kidz were babies. I made it often then. Your business sounds exciting. Honestly I'm a little jealous...I want an exciting food related business too!

Jenny said...

Great post! I'm the same way about the tagged thing. It's fun to read, but painful to write about yourself! Congrats on your awards and YUM on the applesauce!

Shalum said...

you're so right! favorite foods really depend on the mood. hehe :)

Prudy said...

Ok, I owe you a huge thank you. I'm not the best about doing memes either, and I'm even worse with passing out awards. So I would have continued to offer you my undying adoration even if you had ignored the meme and award, but still... I gotta admit, it was so fun to read. So that was you calling in the middle of my dinner hour and knocking on my door offering to kill the roaches. Hmm... So you really are a dancing queen, eh? And what of this exciting food business? Don't leave me hanging! I mean, don't you want me to vice prez anyway? I can make all your favorites, starting with pesto, and I can't get you organized but I can find someone for you to pay. Love the applesauce, especially with the variety of apples that you used. I love to use a load of different kinds for the best flavor and the vanilla would just make my heart stop. So there.

Bellini Valli said...

The awards are all so well deserved. It was also nice to hear some little snippets about your life. Laughter gets us through the day:D

Grace said...

i'm glad you followed through with the tag--it was great to learn a bit about you. :)
meanwhile, your applesauce looks and sounds incredible, and i love the pig dish you used it on. good stuff. :)

Jill said...

That was fun to learn more about you on the meme! I hate doing them too, but also succumb to the inevitable every once in a while. I've never made applesauce before, what a great idea! I think it looks just gorgeous.

jen said...

I know what you mean, we've made loads of apple butter in the past two weeks and I've done all the peeling and coring by knife.

darn. I was going to give you the E award... guess I should have posted it sooner.

I guess it's not a bad thing to get it twice? :)

Girl Japan said...

to the stove, to the stove, to the oven... "giggles" JOKING (well half joking).

I love pork anything served with something sweet, the reminds me of a diner in times square.. oh yum, I am so glad you posted this, I have been looking for pork recipes for "thanks" day and well, in Japan, I have yet to see any turkeys running around.. Oh.. and of course it looks beautiful and I bet it is.. or WAS delicious.

Pam said...

Congrats on your awards.

The apple sauce looks great but I love the idea of apples and pork. I will be trying this recipe soon.

I loved reading your Se7en Things List but I don't like doing them either.

Dee said...

You slayed me with the 'subject to change by the minute' note beside your favourite foods! I'm so excited about your future foodie empire - what? when? will there be free food? Forget enquiring minds, greedy tummies need to know.

We LOVE applesauce. I use brown sugar and cinnamon, but vanilla - duh! - would be sublime.

Maria said...

I loved reading your Sevens! So fun! Congrats on the awards too! The applesauce looks really tasty. I am sure the vanilla is a knock out!

Deborah said...

I am the same as you - love reading tags on other blogs, but I don't do them often myself!

I keep saying I'm going to make applesauce, and this recipe sounds sooo good!

Bridgett said...

Congratulations on all of your awards! The applesauce looks divine.

Kristen said...

You crack me up! I love your Se7en things, especially the things you say everyday. We must have the same dialog in our house! Mine is "Get in your car seat... get in your car seat... get in your car seat, repeated about 80 times until someone starts moving in that direction :)

Stacey Lau said...

I loved reading this! And I quote.. "Learn to get organized, or at least pay somebody to do it for me" Exactly!!!! You found the perfect words. I think I would like to opt for this second option ;)

hot garlic said...

Thanks everyone! I read and appreciate each and every one of the comments. Thanks for taking the time to write them!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs