Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Homemade Fruit Leather


Awe shucks, you may not know this about us, but we are a fruit leather family. We are just lovin' on the stuff. I started making it about a year ago when I invested in an amazing dehydrator. I haven't dehydrated anything but fruit leather so far! But it's our favorite and something we know we'll love.

I didn't know what I was doing at first, so I browsed through what google could offer me and some other recipes but never found what I was after, not even close. Why is it that everyone thinks apricots are the cat's pajamas? They're not, gag, I hate apricots. I want to do fruits I love to eat, that taste good to me! But not all of those fruits deydrate into leather with a good texture. So my secret? Mix it with apples or pears.

I don't have any genius to pass on as far as the ratios, I just throw in whatever I have, whatever I've purchased in bulk on sale, get my food processor to put it's back into it, and then deydrate! It works every time no matter how much I put in of what or this or that.

I've made them fresh or cooked. Cooked taste better, fresh are healthier so you weigh your options there... But I never add any sugar, except I add a pinch of brown sugar to my Vanilla Bean Applesauce fruit leather which is amazing. We'll see how this post goes over to gauge if I should post some of my other FL creations. I'm also working on a recipe using THRIVE products where you don't have to use a dehydrator.

Today, however, I'm sharing my mango-pineapple fruit leather which is my favorite so far. The texture was great and the leather is sweet and delicious and bursting with tropical flavor. I, of course, wrap them up cute-like for lunches or snacks. Sorry Gabe, once again you're stuck with pink! This pink raffia is a life-saver because it is adorable but uber-amounts cheaper than ribbon and you just use a tiny bit. Use tape though, if you feel like going that route.
Without further adieu, I give you:

Mango-Pineapple, No Sugar Added, homemade Fruit Leather

Some Mangos
Some Pineapple
Some Apples
A large stock pot
A food processor / blender
A food dehydrator
Waxed / Baking / Parchment paper
Scissors or rotary cutter
A pizza cutter or knife
ribbon, raffia, or tape

Peel and core the apples.

*It's awesome if you have one of those new-fandangled 'apple machines' {as I call it for my kid's sake. Talking it up makes them feel it is special and thus they want to eat the 'special' apples} that peels and slices while you go. Huge timesaver, very inexpensive to invest in and your kids will love it.

Peel and dice the mangos.

Place apples and mangos in stockpot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, peel, slice, and blitz the pineapple in your food processor or blender until it goes white and frothy. Take a drink of it, I know you'll want to, and throw the rest in with the simmering apples and mangos.

*By this point I have just cooked while prepping, but the total time I've spent on cooking is probably about 20 mintues.

Then, spoon batches of the mixture back into the food processor and blitz for a few minutes until smooth. Pour each batch onto your prepared dehydrating sheet and dehydrate for approx 8 hours on medium heat {you'll have to work with yours, some don't have adjustable heat, just mess around until you find what works}

Next morning you are greeted with this:


Peel gently from the sheet to reveal the glorious, shiny creation

Admire it in the shimmering sun, love it, feel it


Cut it into strips like this

Or wedges like that, however you feel is mathematically and geometrically to your advantage

Place onto your baking paper that you have cut using scissors or if you're fancy one of those big wide rulers and a mat creating even, perfect lines. You may want to catch up on your favorite Television programme whilst doing this...


Roll and then secure with a ribbon, rafia, or tape -etc. Store in an airtight container or in the fridge for a LONG time. I've tested this limit quite conclusively, I find ones that are months old in the back of the pantry and send them off to school after giving them the 'ol sniff test, didn't get any complaints so I concluded they were fine and last months, if not months and months.


Further Information:

I used Kensington Mangos that I had frozen from the mango harvest last year. They are an amazing variety and I won't eat anything else! Can't wait, with summer on the horizon this year's crop is just a few short months away! Anyway, having those done this made it very easy to just pop them in and I had one less thing I had to prep. For this batch I would guess I used about 8 cups of diced mangos at least.

In addition I used 4 whole pineapples and probably about 16 apples. This made 9 trays of fruit leather, it shrinks down quite a bit unfortunately! But you will love having this trusty snack on hand, all of your hard work will pay off. Get a friend and do this together, it makes it more fun and something you might even look forward to. As mentioned above, that friend could be catching up on your Tivo'd episodes of The Bachelor or Top Chef...

This recipe features the cooking method, but as I mentioned I've made it fresh so if you desire, skip the cooking step and just prep and blitz.

Enjoy!

28 comments:

Lauri said...

Hey Natalie,
I love my dehydrator! In Utah my favorite thing to do with it is drying pears. I have canned them and it is so much work and in the dehydrator they come out like candy and my girls loved them growing up (except my Natalie) I wish I had mine here in Honolulu to try the yummy fruits here and seeing this makes me wish even more, maybe if we come here on a more permanent basis I will get that opportunity.

Lauri

Sara @ Our Best Bites said...

That sounds so super yummy. So I really want a dehydrator- you said you love yours? What kind do you have?

melissa said...

you gave me advice about what to register for almost a year ago...and you were so helpful! I am still a fan of your blog. I want to say that I LOVE this post. I have been so curious about how to make GOOD fruit leather. This post went above and beyond to satisfy my curiousity! THANKS!

Candy Christensen said...

YES!!! Thank you! I just wish I had a dehydrator though! Yum...

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Fantastic! That homemade version must taste heavenly!

Cheers,

Rosa

VeggieGirl said...

The mango-pineapple would be my favorite too!! Hoooly yum :)

Dani said...

1. I'm buying a food dehydrator.

2. Please post more recipes of flavors.

Gaengy said...

Looking forward to tasting the mangos!

Miranda said...

This looks awesome. My two girls would love this. I was planning on making it when I first saw it until I needed a dehydrator. I do not have one, but I hope to soon.

Thank you.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said...

It looks amazing - like part of a stained glass window or something. i don't own a dehydrator, I wonder if a low oven would work similar magic? Either way I would definitely follow your advice and drink some of the mix - sounds like a gorgeous combination of flavours. And they look really sweet all wrapped up in paper!

Alex said...

Awesome results! I've never tried making them with cooked fruits and will have to give that a try. I really like the way your wrapped them up too. Very elegant. Thanks for sharing your recipe and the photos.

Stef said...

This totally makes me want to get a dehydrator. It's one kitchen gadget I don't have. Looks so yummy!

Chef Jeena said...

This looks really wonderful Natalie! I keep meaning to purchase a dehydrator and after seeing your post it makes me want to get one even more.

Love the mango in there yum!

Kadie said...

I love love love fruit leather and have been looking for good recipes. I am so excited to make this. I would love it if you would post more!!!

Leslie said...

Oh damn you..Now I have to go out an buy a dehydrator! Like I need a new kitchen gadget!! GRRRR

Sarah Blackhurst said...

it's official. When Richard starts making millions you are going to be my personal chef! Done deal.

Pam said...

Woman - you have inspired me today. My kids LOVE fruit leather. I'll be on the lookout for a dehydrator so I can make it for them.

Foodycat said...

I am so jealous of the Kensington mangoes! They are just the best. The ones we get here tend to be Indian Alfonse ones and they are too sweet and a bit soapy.

Mrs Hackney said...

I've never even heard of fruit leather before!! I imagine it to tast like fruit gums mmmmm. What is a dehydrator? I'm off to google where I can get hold of one of these babies! :-)

Tia said...

i just rec'd a dehydrator and have only used it once. sooo excited to try these! Thanks!

Johanna said...

What is the purpose of the cooking? To reduce the water content? To deepen flavor? Just curious, so I know what to look for when it has cooked enough.

Also, what other fruits and fruit combos have you tried and liked? Thanks!

natalie said...

Hey Johanna, there really isn't so much purpose in it, and you don't have to cook at all. I often don't cook to retain nutrients.

The flavor is nicer because it sweetens and becomes more intense as the natural flavor is coaxed out. It also has a smoother texture. But sometimes those benefits don't outweigh the lose in nutrients and enzymes.

fruit leather said...

Thanks for the recipe. Mango is one of our family's favorite fruits, plus it is a departure from the fruit leather we typically make.

Maria Nexus said...

Thank you for sharing this. I like fruit leather too much and definitely I am going to ask my mother to prepare this for me on weekends.

The Rebel said...

OMG, I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!! I was in search for a fruit leather recipe and your blog was on the list that popped up.....and freakin sucked me in! Not only do you LOVE to experiment and have fun cooking, but you post your recipes! I LIVE TO COOK!!! Yes, Live....I've been married for 19+ years, have 4 kids, and we move around a lot for my hubbies job. OMG, I think this is going to be a wonderful amazing friendship!!! Hi Natalie, my name is Jennifer and I WANT TO BE FRIENDS....LOL

natalie said...

REBEL! We can't be friends since your profile isn't enabled! I can't find you!

Thanks heaps for your awesome comments! I don't check the comments very often since I forget. But let's be friends!

kelly said...

I just got a dehydrator for my birthday and have yet to use it...I was looking for some great recipes and found your recipe!! Can't wait to try it now!

Anonymous said...

I have tons of figs right now and I have been putting them in my Ninja, then into ice cube trays. I will use the cubes later in cakes or whatever but I think tomorrow I will try to make the leather. I always dry tons of figs and eat it as candy but the leather sounds good too. BTW my figs are so sweet I never add anything to them. If you can add anything that I should do just tell me.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs