Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Alaskan King Crab Cakes with Dijion Aioli

The other night I woke up after dreaming all night about crab cakes. Really random, nothing about me is particularly New England-y. In fact I'm not sure I've ever eaten a crab cake before! But ever since watching that Crab Cake countdown special on the Discovery Travel and Adventure channel a few years ago, my thoughts have occasionally minisced about them. In fact I have yearned for an authentic, true, New England crab cake, or maybe two.

I relish living by the ocean, but unfortunately it is not the Atlantic. So this was not possible. I thought I better quit the pity party and get freaking cooking.

This was actually a really fun adventure, since it was out into the unknown for me. Saying I'm not entirely comfortable with seafood is a huge understatement. We never, ever ate it growing up. For health reasons, I started dabbling in it on my own in college. A lot of what I know about it is through trial and error.

I browsed some recipes, though I had somewhat of a clear idea of what I was going for with the years old TV special still fresh in my mind. I wanted a moist cake full of flavor on the inside, crispy on the outside, and a creamy sauce to dip them into. I knew Paula wouldn't steer me wrong!

I love an aioli chockablock full of flavors and colors. I thoroughly enjoy whisking them by hand when I have the time -I like to think I'm helping to start the process of burning the calories in advance of eating such a rich meal! But this time the food processor put it's back into it for me.

Alaskan King Crab Cakes with Dijion Aioli
inspired by this recipe by Paula Deen

  • Approx 1 lb harvested Alaskan King Crab Leg meat {this meat was cooked}
  • 1/3 cup crushed crackers {Used Tuckers All Natural Caramelized Onion}
  • 2 T. + minced chive
  • 1/2 medium red onion or two shallots, finely minced
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red, orange, or yellow baby bell pepper or banana pepper
  • 1/4 cup Lemon Garlic Aioli -recipe below, {or mayonnaise with 1 clove garlic and lemon zest added}
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Dash cayenne pepper
  • Flour, for dusting
  • 1/2 cup peanut oil

Prepare Aioli recipe below

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, minus the oil for frying and the flour. Make sure that all vegetables are as finely minced as possible, unless you prefer them quite chunky.

Stir together until just combined

Meanwhile, heat oil in shallow frying pan

Shape into patties, very carefully {hence no pictures!} and dust as liberally as needed with flour
Place into heated oil -I just do a bubble test, when it bubbles it is ready.

Yipes! That time again where I'm cooking up the leftovers the next day... Among other things, the oil doesn't look so pretty the next day. It probably goes without saying that it would be preferable for the oil to be fresh!

Fry in small batches over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until each is golden brown and crispy.

Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with Dijon Aioli

Dijon Aioli / Lemon Garlic Aioli

Aioli is basically a homemade mayonnaise. In fact you can spread on sammies just like store-bought, and I often do. You can jazz it up with any flavor, spice, or herbs to suit other dishes you are making to then uses as a sauce or to dip.

Here I've started with a simple Lemon Garlic Aioli, added 1/4 cup into the crab cakes, then *added other ingredients to the remainder of it to comprise a dipping sauce

2 egg yolks

1/2 tsp salt

4 cloves garlic

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

zest of one lemon

*added ingredients juice of one lemon

*2-3 T. Dijon mustard

*2+ T. minced fresh herbs {used oregano and chives}

Combine egg yolks and minced garlic in the bowl of food processor. Process until yolks become whipped and airy, lighter in color.

Slowly, almost drop by drop, drizzle olive oil in as the blades continue to whip and whisk. Keep the stream steady, and be patient.

Once oil has been slowly streamed in, you should have a light, silky, creamy mayonnaise. Use 1/4 cup for cakes, then add in addition ingredients to finish dipping sauce.

16 comments:

Bellini Valli said...

I have been wanting to try crab cakes of every description lately.

Pam said...

It's funny how us food bloggers dream about food. I had a dream about cinnamon rolls with mushed pear last night - what a strange combination huh?

King crab is my very favorite and I love crab cakes so you can imagine the drool on my chin right now. They look beautiful! The aioli also sounds like the perfect dipping sauce for these beauties.

Leslie said...

Dreaming about crab cakes? Have you started taking drugs now???? LOL..I kid I kid!
These look delish. I made these in a chicken version a while ago and they were outstanding. The aioli puts them over the top

Gaengy said...

Pretty fancy stuff...if I liked crab it might be worth it...you almost tempted me! Great JOB!

Lea Ann said...

These beautiful photos are making my mouth water. Gotta make me some crab cakes.

anavar said...

The recipe sounds delicious! I wonder if I can bake those cakes in an oven, so I don't have to use so much oil.

estrella said...

Hi! I write you from Barcelona.
In fact allioli (writed in catalan its original language) is only olive oil and garlic nothing more.
Another thing is mayonaise with garlic.
Congrats for your blog.

fadt said...

Whoa,that crab cake look very delicious!That picture make me hungry!Nice job on the recipe.

Foodycat said...

So tasty! I have never met a crab cake I didn't like!

kitchen tables said...

Crab cakes are my favorite! I always order that in seafood restaurants.

C Hall said...

This was a hit all the way around! Took me some time to get up the courage, but it turned out yummy. Thanks again for a great recipe! (Oh and btw, I love your new kitchen--and I’m sure you love it even more :)

Dale said...

I stumbled on your blog/journal and was tempted by your crab cake recipe. My brother-in-law is a major foodie and it's not always easy to impress him....which was my goal! I made the crab cakes and now he thinks I'm a genius.
Thanks and keep cookin'....:o)
Dale

a frog in the cottage said...

SIMPLY IRRESISTIBLE !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent undertaking! We've long been seeking subjects as being intriguing as these. Looking forward to your next post.

Alaskan King Crab said...

I am seafood lover and this Alaskan King crab looks so delicious. I'll definitely try this

Mary said...

WOW! Does this looks great. My husband is allergic to crab, but I'm not so the next time he is traveling...I know what I am going to do!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by!

Search This Blog

Loading...

We don't want no stinking spam

Thanks
 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs